Friday, August 28, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy

Slowly making my way through my to-do checklist for back to school stuff.  Finished recording all of my chorus accompaniment files for my winter concert.  I also recorded part I/part II melodies for my website so my students can practice at home.  I might have to push for them to really practice at home this year since our concert is a month earlier than usual.  You might ask why I spent 2 full days recording accompaniment files -- well my district doesn't supply an accompanist and well I could find someone to play for me and pay for it out of my own pocket, but I'd rather not.  The other option is play myself.  I did that for one concert and I hated not being in front of the kids -- I think its a big help to be there. Actually the other option is student accompanists and that I have done that as well -- a lot.  I have had a bunch of talented pianists in my 4th/5th grades over the years, however it always gives me an anxiety attack to know if they are going to get through it -- and sometimes I focus more on them playing then the kids singing.  I was actually happy that no one volunteered at all last year -- less stressful.  This year, however, I have 2 pieces planned that will rely heavily on student accompaniment.  For my winter concert I have planned the piece: "Peace on Earth... And Lots of Little Crickets" for my 5th graders and I am super excite about it -- however its all aux percussion (mainly cricket clicker, guiro, shaker) and 1 bass marimba part (or in my case keyboard and alto xylo).  If the students get off that could get scary, but I am sure they will be fine.  In the spring, I programmed my own arrangement of The Beatles' "Blackbird for my 5th graders as well.  It will feature one of my students on guitar.  He is a very talented student, but still a lot of pressure.

Wow that was a lot more long-winded than I expected it would be.  What else have I done this week?  Today, I completed 2, yes only 2 SMART Board files for 2 different kindergarten lessons.  I forgot how long it takes to create just one file.  First you have to figure out what you want to do, then find/make all the graphic files, etc.  Four hours and 2 files and one of them was just picture/lyrics to a long kindergarten song.  

Oh well, this weekend my plan is to make some more SMART Board files.  Then on Monday I want to head down to my classroom and finish setting up (they did construction that just finished, so I can finally get in).  Then all I have left is to completely re-do my 1st grade curriculum (as soon as I get my MusicPlay 1st grade!), then update my 3rd grade curriculum slightly (already did K, 2, and 4).  Then, well just do the usual stuff -- make a new incentive poster, make up my first week lessons, make some grading/seating charts, and just relax.  Not bad -- still got a week and a half!

No comments:

Post a Comment