Sunday, September 20, 2009

New year? Feels like we never left...

I did it -- made it through a full week, a full monday through friday, with little to no pain...
Still suffering from a cold/possibly sinus infection and that definitely makes teaching music a bit interesting, but getting through it. 

On Wednesday, I began teaching my first real lessons of the year (not just first week fluff) and it has been interesting so far.  For the most part, my students have been eating up the new material and have been performing at their best.  I have also begun my chorus rehearsals.  Here are my general observations of the week:

Highlights:

*It is highly entertaining watching 5th graders, who had finally figured out the cup game pattern successfully at a normal even tempo, try to keep up with the accelerando in "In the Hall of the Mountain King."  Let's just say there were cups everywhere and tons of laughing by the time the piece had ended.

*Started really singing with one section of my 4th grade chorus -- and wow, they already are singing beautifully in their head voices.  I have a TA (teacher assistant) who sits in with the class since it is a double, and she is quite blunt and has no problem telling me how it really is (she has sat in with a 5th grade group a few years ago) and she was shocked at their talent as well!  I was even able to teach them the first part of one of their songs and it already sounds great! [*side note, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that this group is my first group of kindergartners at the school.]  Oh yeah, 5th grade chorus is doing okay so far as well.

*On Thursday, I taught my second graders two new songs (nothing too crazy).  However, after school there was a girl scout meeting in our cafeteria (which is near my room) and as I stayed after school doing some work, I could hear the girls from that class performing the songs for the rest of the group and their moms.  They had no idea I could hear, and that's just really cool.  I love when the kids are just that excited about what they are learning.

*Also had open house this week and while I only spoke with about 3% of my students' parents, they all had nothing but wonderful things to say.  It is still kinda awkward to hear: "you're my child's favorite teacher/special," and I still am never sure how to respond other than "Thanks." -- However it is still wonderful to hear.

Parts of the Week I'd Rather Forget:

*We have a very low third grade this year, all across the board.  We have known this since they were in kindergarten.  However, the depressing reality showed its face this week when they were barely able to do an "end of the year" 2nd grade activity.  I taught them a simple 4 measure body percussion piece (unison) and then we tried to turn it into a 2 part round -- and then disaster.  They could only do it if I was helping them.  We tried and we tried, and they just didn't get it....  It's going to be a long year.  I've had quite the strong 3rd grade recorder program in the past, and I am not sure if this group will be able to get to that level.  I will try my hardest though -- and they are the most enthusiastic group I've worked with yet, we'll see.

Ok on to week 2.  This week I can look forward to beginning 5 brand new 4th grade instrumental lesson groups (1 sax, 1 clarinet, 2 low brass, and 1 percussion) as well as continuing on with my 2 5th grade instrument lessons (low brass and percussion).  Tonights hw: learn how to play clarinet!

No comments:

Post a Comment