Friday, August 19, 2011

What I've Come Up WIth So Far...

So, I have been searching the web and thinking about what I can really do to change the way I help my students practice at home.  I am just going to list them here as a way to keep the information organized in one place and for others to share their opinions...

These are in no particular order:

  • Have students post what they have practiced and for how long on a digital wall (using wallwisher.)  A new wall for each week or month depending on the popularity.  This makes the sharing of practice times more fun and interactive.  Since all posts will be viewable by others, it also enables a bit of competition (and that always seems to push some students.)

  • First few weeks of school, pull more advanced 5th grade students to record tutorial videos:
    *how to put together their instruments
    *how to make a good sound (embouchure)
    *how to play basic notes
    *practice tips

    Videos would be saved and searchable on the site as a reference guide (a bit of the Flipped classroom idea.)
  • Create some screencast tutorials on how to figure out note names and how to read rhythms.

  • Have practice challenges.
    * Have students see how long they can hold a note without changing the sound (using an embedded timer) and then post scores on wallwisher or another type of site (embedded in the practice site)

    *Have a composition challenge and have students record/upload into a soundcloud account and post

    *Have a challenge song that students can record/upload into a soundcloud account and post

    *Have students create a challenge and post it (ie.. can you play 16 notes in one breath?)

  • Have a practice timer embedded into the site so that students can set 10-30 minutes to practice and have the timer make sure it happens.

  • Embed accompaniment tracks for examples in the book
This is what I have come up with so far.... just a bunch of ideas.  I seem to be sticking with the web 2.0 method.  I am not sold on the posting website, but wallwisher seems to be the easiest and most secure to use.  Any other ideas?  Please share!  

I am also thinking of creating better first week resources so we don't jump to the book right away.  I don't exactly like how Standard of Excellence starts with whole notes.  So I might create some of my own resources/song sheets/workbook pages as a start.... Finale, here I come!

4 comments:

  1. Have you considered recording small audio files using Audacity or other audio recording tool? Let the students record them on their portable audio devices or cellphones so they can practice almost anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, last night I was researching web-based audio recording sites (like Soundcloud, which was my original tool of choice, but the free version has some limits) and I found one that I plan on embedding into my site and having students use. I might have them record compositions and practice sessions.

    In my general music class, I use garageband and my recording interface all the time. Kids love being recorded and reflecting on their performances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a New blog - 32 years as an elementary & middle school music teacher.............full of activities for students grades pre-K - grade 8...trying to get the word out.
    Thanks!
    Sherry Bozorth
    http://musicactivities.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you looked at Tradition of Excellence? I haven't used Standard but I really like the pacing, and it has instrument specific exercises and videos. So far I'm liking it better than Essential Elements. It still starts with whole notes but we practiced counting the beat before we hit the book as well as did a lot of rote playing withnotes and rhythms so they had no problem picking that up. Just curious!

    ReplyDelete