Sunday, August 14, 2011

Time for a Change

I am enrolled in an instructional technology for educators masters program and in one of my summer classes I have been exposed to some new ideas that have really got me thinking.

One of the concepts we studied was the idea of the Flipped Classroom. The basic idea of that is that instead of assigning repetitive problems (math for instance) for homework, instead the students view teacher created tutorials on how to do a new concept. The next day in class, the students work through problems together. This allows for more student-teacher interaction time and support.

In our readings there was a great quote:
"You can't practice understanding ... practice does not create proficiency."

That started me thinking about the way I teach my lessons and how I expect beginning 4th grade instrumentalists to go home and practice. What does practicing do for them? The struggling students practice, but they do not get better. Why? The reason is that they don’t understand what they are practicing; they do not know that they are playing an example wrong, and then they do not know how to fix it. How can I the teacher solve this problem and help my students become better musicians. How can telling a student to play an example 5 times at home, ensure that they are learning? Maybe I should be telling my students to explore at home and go over the new concepts and skills?

How can we use new ideologies of education and technology to solve this problem?

Here are some ideas that I have been jotting down (mainly as I am involved in this one course) and my goal is to put together a more comprehensive program by the end of the summer to implement.

Feel free to comment, critique, offer suggestions, wants to collaborate, etc!

*Have advanced students create short tutorial videos about how to put together instruments, correct embouchure, how to play notes, read rhythms, etc. Then there would be a tutorial library of basic questions that students might have at home, being taught by their peers (in a language/terms kids would understand.)

*Create screencasts to aid in note reading and basic practicing skills.

*Scrap the lesson book for practice in the beginning. Create an online practice website (free) with accompaniments that review note reading, rhythm reading/playing. Encourage rote playing as well as note reading, tonguing, and correct note duration. The lesson book should only be used in class.

*Home practice should be fun and focused on skill building, not just playing random method book songs.

*Encourage composition and free play as part of the practice routine. Each practice assignment should contain a composition element based on the new skill (ie. write a 16 beat song that contains B, A, and G.) Allow students the ability to record their songs (provide resources) and post on a website for others to see.

*Get rid of practice charts. Instead use a web 2.0 tool for students to record their practicing. By making it interactive and fun, that could cause students to want to practice more.

These are just some ideas that I have jotted down. Once again, I ask for your input. I am not sure where I am going with this yet, but I feel like it is a worthy project to look into. Feel free to leave a comment with your suggestions/criticisms/offers to collaborate, etc. You can also e-mail me at: allison.friedman@me.com

4 comments:

  1. I love the ideas that you've come up with for incorporating more technology in instrumental teaching for beginners. I am starting a new position in September as an elementary classroom/choral teacher and I am interested in implementing more technology with them as well. The question that I struggle with and I will pose to you as well is, how do we keep those students interested and involved if they do not have access to technology at home? While most of the kids in my district do have access to a computer outside of a school, having all of these cool and helpful aids available online may discourage those that don't have the access and make them feel left out or ignored.

    What are your thoughts?

    By the way, great blog. I will definitely be following! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... I haven't written in a while, but it might be time to start up again.

    I find that it is difficult to really incorporate technology/web 2.0 into my elementary general music classes because I don't have the time or resources for each student to truly experience it. We only have 1 computer in the classroom and luckily for me, it is hooked up to my SMARTBoard. I have had some opportunities to sign out the lab and do some awesome projects -- however it takes a lot of prior planning and begging (getting the slot 4 days in a row for 4 different classes, etc.)

    I have never assigned mandatory web homework before. However, I have made an online version of the recorder book that I created and use in class that the students use to practice with (accompaniment files and all.) I have noticed that since I have implemented that, the students are practicing more. I have also have given students the opportunity to finish the computer lab projects at home -- and in one case, a student who did not have the tech at home, used her time at the library to complete it.

    I think that you just have to start small and see what your students can handle and how involved they want/are able to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the great comments - you gave me some great ideas to work with! Have you considered how this same problem may effect your efforts with elementary instrumental students? Sure, the kids that are able to practice at home with the virtual lessons will excel, but how can you supplement for those that don't have that same advantage?

    Not trying to discourage, just hoping to help spark some creative thinking! I know the parents in my district, and if whatever I'm doing puts their kids at a disadvantage or their son can't take part, chaos occurs! I have to make sure I have ALL my bases covered!

    Good luck - sounds like you have some awesome ideas and starting points! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very interested in this. It sounds like a great alternative to SmartMusic, which is something I wish I had but we don't have any spare computers in the band hall. And can you believe I've had students say they don't have a DVD player to use the accompaniment CDs and DVDs? Anyway, it also sounds like a massive undertaking, but I hope to see something come out of it. Good luck and I'll be following you!

    ReplyDelete